Change is not easy and takes concerted effort to move forward. It is not uncommon to feel the need for change, but not know where to start. Below is a quiz on your change readiness. Scoring high means you have already taken the first step toward change and in a position to capitalize on the movement you are already experiencing.
Readiness for change quiz:
Rate each item 1-5 according to your current experience.
- No I am not experiencing this right now
- Below Average – Unsure
- Average – I understand, but will wait to see how things go
- Above average – I understand and feel strongly that I need to move forward soon
- Extremely high level – I really understand this and am ready to go
- A sense that something has to change. This is an awareness that something is no longer working for you and there is a willingness to spend your time, effort, finances, and comfort to bring about the changes desired. ______
- Courage begins with the awareness that the experience of anxiety, discomfort, fear, and shame are all stepping stones for change. Courage is fully activated when you experience the “feelings” and choose to stay with the process and walk into the things that are uncomfortable. ______
- Conscious awareness is essentially knowing that a problem exists whether or not you know exactly what the problem is. ______
- Intentional positioning is using your effort or will to actively pursue new options and opportunities that will help promote the change being sought. Seeking coaching is one way of intentional positioning. ______
- Social support consists of confiding, supportive relationships that are dedicated to helping you become all that you desire. ______
- Willingness to let go of the pain/trauma/abuse as a means of defining your self and a willingness to no longer allow the pain to determine how you function. ______
- Hope is the expectation that change is possible. ______
Scoring 3, 4, or 5 on 3 or more of the statements means you are ready to get the most out of your coaching experience. If you scored low on the readiness scale, ask yourself if there is anything you can do with one or two of the statements to position yourself or ready yourself for change.